Come make a difference!
The Centre for Newcomers is an Alberta leader in providing a variety of settlement, language training and employment readiness services to immigrants. Our mission is to achieve the integration of newcomers in the community, through services and initiatives that promote diversity, participation and citizenship. We make a positive difference in the lives of all Calgarians by:
• Welcoming and supporting newcomers to settle and integrate
• Fostering a culture that is founded on respect, cooperation and trust
• Working collaboratively and in partnership.
Posting Number 15-010
Position: Classroom Assistant (Regular Part-time)
Program: Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)
The Classroom Assistant will assist teachers in all class times through the various implementation phases of Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA). This role will work closely and collaboratively with teachers to monitor and facilitate portions of class time while teachers are conducting activities or assessments with individual students; assist current students with portfolio activities; assist new students with baseline portfolio activities. The Classroom Assistant will also provide learning assistance to identified students requiring extra support to achieve success.
This position reports to the Day LINC Co-ordinator. It is part-time, hourly (28 hours a week) while classes are in session. The role will first support day classes (Spring through Fall, 2015) and then will support evening/Saturday classes (Winter, 2016).
- Working collaboratively with teachers and co-ordinators to support the implementation of PBLA in individual classes;
- Assessing needs, objectives and progress of each referred student in collaboration with the individual referring teacher;
- Using a variety of teaching methods, resources and strategies appropriate for referred students' unique learning challenges;
- Providing appropriate reinforcement and constructive feedback to the individual students and their teachers regarding individual progress in the identified areas;
- Maintaining appropriate and current records of students' progress in the identified areas.
- A recognized post-secondary education preferably in Teaching English as a Second/Other Language, Education or Linguistics;
- Knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks and ability to use the framework effectively to contribute to PBLA process implementation:
- Completed specific courses related to teaching literacy learners;
- Past experience teaching adult learners with additional learning challenges;
- Above average organizational and time management skills.
To apply: Please forward your cover letter and resume in one document quoting posting #15-010 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting closes April 30, 2015
Due to resource limitations only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
Posting Number 15-007
Position: Delivery Representative
Program: EthniCity Catering (Casual)
The Delivery Representative is responsible for all logistics related to accurate and timely delivery of orders to customers. This position will effectively communicate with the Lead Cook and Customer Relations Representative, and will report to the Co-ordinator. The position requires flexible hours for delivery of orders in the evenings and weekends.
- Delivering customer orders in a timely and food-safe manner, including set-up and presentation as requested; pick up equipments when needed
- Monitoring customer satisfaction during deliveries
- Providing customer feedback as necessary to the Customer Relations Representative
- Communicating regularly with Lead Cook for ordering and/or purchasing of all supplies
- Submitting receipts and invoices to the Customer Relations Representative
- Reporting any vehicle maintenance requirements to the Co-ordinator; follow up with implementation as directed
- Alberta Class 5 Driver's License and excellent driving record
- Above average ability to read maps, follow directions; familiar with quadrants of the city
- Accurate attention to details
- Excellent communication, problem solving and time management skills
- Able to lift and carry up to 20 kg; bending, lifting and occasionally managing some stairs are bona fide occupational requirements.
To apply: Please forward your cover letter and resume quoting the posting 15-007 to email@example.com
Posting opens March 23 - 15 and is ongoing.
Thank you for your interest. Only candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted.