Come make a difference!
The Centre for Newcomers is an Alberta leader in providing services to immigrants. Our mission is to achieve the integration of newcomers in the community, through services and initiatives that promote diversity, participation and citizenship. We make a positive difference in the lives of all Calgarians by:
• Welcoming and supporting newcomers to settle and integrate
• Fostering a culture that is founded on respect, cooperation and trust
• Working collaboratively and in partnership.
Position: Kitchen Process Facilitator
Program: EthniCity Catering Training
Posting Number: 14-019
EthniCity Catering is a unique educational program and catering business that supports disadvantaged newcomers to integrate and gain job experience in Calgary. In addition to learning commercial food preparation and standards, service excellence and other essential skills in the classroom, our participants learn to apply their education in a real commercial kitchen.
The Role: The purpose of this role is to ensure that processes and people are working cohesively to create an effective and practical learning experience for EthniCity program participants while in the kitchen context and beyond. The exciting challenges include balancing the settlement and learning needs of program participants with a service excellence focus on both co-workers and our commercial customers.
- Support participant learning in the kitchen in collaboration with regular kitchen staff
- flexibility in planning, sensitivity to customer order timelines and promoting a training environment at all times
- Attend to details and accuracy in the supervision of participants in the kitchen; regularly meet with other program facilitators to discuss client progress
- Influence all kitchen staff (participants and staff) to work as a team to maximize learning and productivity
- collaborate with kitchen staff to ensure accuracy of customer orders and inventory levels of ingredients and supplies
- collaborate to maintain organization general cleanliness of kitchen, pantry and storeroom
- review, update and maintain menu items; recommend changes in items or recipes
- recommend and implement internal food sales plan to agency staff and clients
- collaborate with kitchen staff to create the work schedule
- In conjunction with other program facilitators, review program applications, conduct information sessions and interview prospective participants
- Thorough understanding of food and beverage service industry standards and trends
- Diploma in Food Services or Hospitality
- Alberta Food Safety Certification
- Food and beverage industry experience at the supervisory level combined with other post-secondary education will be considered
- Experience in an instructor, trainer or teaching role
- Experience with design and introduction of new menu items
- Excellent customer service and communication skills in a cross-cultural team setting
- Confident and enthusiastic team player
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office suite of software.
To apply: Please forward your cover letter and resume quoting
posting #14-019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting closes December 7, 2014
Thank you for your interest. Only candidates short-listed will be contacted.
Please continue to check our website for other future employment opportunities.